Follow us on Call us for support at 952-935-2345. After hours messages are monitored 24/7.

News & Events

5 Important Coil Facts to Consider


5 Important Coil Facts to Consider

Selecting the right coil for your system is a balance between the proper number of rows/fins, desired coil pressure and long term vs. short term savings. Here are some important factors to consider any time a coil is needed:

  1. Rows/tubes cost more than fins. An 8 row coil can cost considerably more than a 6 row coil. To do so without affecting performance more fins can be added per inch. A typical 5/8" OD tube has 6-10 coils per inch. By increasing that to 14 fins/inch you can reduce the number of rows needed. 

  2. Coil circuiting is an important factor in coil performance. Circuiting is about selecting the number of tubes that you need to feed, and how many passes the water makes through the coil. This will determine the tube fluid velocity by your gallons per minute (GPM). The higher the GPM the fewer passes needed.

  3. Fins do most of the heat transfer. The majority of heat transfer within a coil, about 70%, is done through the fins with the tubes handling the remaining 30%. Because of this, it is important that the connection between the fins and coils provides maximum heat transfer contact in order to maintain high efficiency.  

  4. It's important to consider maintenance cost factors. Coils need to have regular maintenance performed during their entire life cycle. When deciding what coils to invest in, it's important to consider the cost of that maintenance along with product cost, size, and materials. Sometime a design or size that saves $500 in actual costs can increase required maintenance by $5,000 or more. 

  5. Coils typically last for 15-20 years. With proper selection and regular maintenance, coils can perform at high-effiiciency for a long time. That's why it's important to think long-term when considering any coil purchase. If done properly they are a great investment.

At Campbell-Sevey, our team considers all these factors when making coil recommendations and works directly with you to make sure they will fit your performance needs. Contact us to learn the best options for your coil project.  

 


No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.

Subscribe to our CS Update Newsletter: Send Me The Latest News

952-935-2345  emailmain@campbell-sevey.com  address15350 Minnetonka Blvd., Minnetonka, MN 55345

Products We Carry

GENERATION
  • Hot Water Boilers
  • Watertube Steam Boilers
  • Firetube Steam Boilers
  • Deaerators
  • Heat Recovery Steam Generators (HRSG’s)
  • Automatic Recirculation Valves
  • Economizers
  • Gas-Fired Water Heaters
  • Gas-Fired Humidifiers
  • Boiler/Generator Flue Stacks
  • Continuous Emissions Monitors (CEMS)
DISTRIBUTION
  • Pressure Reducing Valves
  • Safety and Relief Valves
  • Control Valves
  • Pressure Independent Control Valves
  • Expansion Joints, Guides, Anchors
  • Flash Tanks
  • Flow Meters
  • Balancing Valves
  • Check Valves
  • Separators
  • Pumps
  • Pressure Booster Systems
  • Piston Valves
UTILIZATION
  • Heating/Cooling Coils
  • Plate and Frame Heat Exchangers
  • Shell and Tube Exchangers
  • Water Heaters
  • Steam Humidifiers
  • Vacuum Systems
  • Condensers
  • Steam Traps
  • Wireless Steam Trap Monitors
  • Tube Bundles
  • Direct Gas-Fired Space Heaters
  • Direct Gas-Fired Make-Up Air Units
  • Unit Heaters
  • Strainers
  • Air Vents
  • Liquid Drainers
  • Heat Transfer Packages
  • Digital Water Mixing Valves
  • Air Cooled Condensers/Dry Coolers
  • Steam Filters
RETURN
  • Electric Condensate Pumps
  • Steam/Air-Powered Condensate Pumps
  • Packaged Condensate Pump Skids